Skip to Main Content
UCLA Veterans

UCLA provides assistance with applying for federal and state education benefits.

If you are an admitted student wanting to submit your Certificate of Eligibility/NOBE/Cal Vet Eligibility Letter and DD-214, please complete the Veteran Intake Form located under the Forms tab of this website.

For UCLA-specific questions about federal and state veteran education benefits, please contact the UCLA Certifying Official at or by calling 310-825-5391. Please be sure to identify yourself with your name, UCLA ID number, and student status. For a list of frequently asked questions, please visit UCLA's FAQ about VA Education Benefits.

The US Department of Veteran Affairs allows servicemember, veterans, dependents, and other beneficiaries to apply for education benefits online at

The following educational benefits are available to veterans and dependents.

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty)


Qualifications: The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty. Chapter 30 may be used for a variety of programs and you may receive up to 36 months of education benefits.

Apply : Apply by filling out VA Form 22-90 (Application for Education Benefits).

Military Tuition Assistance (for Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve)

As an active-member military member, reservist, or national guardsman, you may be eligible for military tuition assistance/MilTA/TA. To learn more about your eligibility for this program, please contact for your unit Education Officer. Listed below are the links to service-specific information on the TA program.

GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance

USMC Tuition Assistance

USAF Tuition Assistance

Navy Tuition Assistance

Coast Guard Tuition Assistance

Once you decide that you would like to pursue usage of military tuition assistance at UCLA, please contact the Veteran Program Director, Dr. Emily Ives, for next steps on this process.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)


Benefit Detail: Service members expecting a discharge that is other than dishonorable who possess a VA memorandum or Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) rating of 20 percent or more—as well as service members currently going through a Physical Evaluation Board—may be eligible to receive VR&E services. VR&E services help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist Veterans in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.

Apply: Apply through eBenefits or fill out VA Form 28-0588.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®)


Qualifications: To qualify for chapter 33, you must have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001 or 30 days if you were discharged with a service connected disability. You may be on active duty, or be an honorably discharged Veteran.

Benefit Detail: The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Benefits may include a monthly housing allowance, an annual books and supplies stipend, and a one-time rural benefit payment.

Apply : To apply, fill out the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) and submit it to the VA electronically.

Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill® - Transfer of Entitlement)


Benefit Detail: The option to transfer is open to any member of the armed forces active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® , and meets the necessary criteria. The transferability option allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children.

Apply: In order to transfer unused benefits to a spouse or dependent, you must fill out a Transfer of Education Benefit request form.

Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)


Qualification: The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Apply: To apply, obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training.

Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Reservists)


Benefit Detail: MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

Apply: To apply, get the DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program from your unit. Then obtain and complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits) and send it to your VA regional office.

Chapter 1607 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Reserve Educational Assistance Program)


Qualification: REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress.

Benefit Detail: The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits. This change affects beneficiaries differently, please refer to the VA website for more information.

California Veterans Fee Waiver Program (Dependents of Veterans with a Service-Connected Disability)

Benefit Detail: The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board. There are four plans under which dependents of veterans may be eligible.

Apply: To apply, please use the College Fee Waiver Calculator, which can be found on the CalVet website. Then, download the application and submit it to your any County Veterans Service Office.